Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Top Five Most Irritating Songs Of All Time

Everyone has their "best of" song lists, but what about those songs that just plain annoy you? Here are five songs that irritate the Hell out of me. The kicker is that all of these songs have stood the test of time and are popular enough that I will never entirely escape them. 


The Clash - "Rock The Casbah"

I know everybody loves The Clash. I don't, but I'll save that for another blog. Anyway, this is the first Clash song I ever heard, and maybe that's why I don't like them. The drums are playing some fake disco beat, the piano part is dorky, the guitar stabs are piercing, the bass is all over the place and Joe Strummer makes absolutely no attempt to sing on key. In fact, I think he's trying NOT to sing on key. I know he's "punk", but it sounds like crap. I guess this song is supposed to be "political" or something, I still have no idea what he's mumbling about. It gives me a headache.


The B-52's - "Love Shack"

I don't particularly like any B-52's, but this one takes the cake for it's ubiquitous use by wedding DJ's, 80's-themed radio stations and party mixes. This song takes their losing formula of effeminate rapping, off-key female background vocals and unfunky R&B riffs and pushes it to the limit. And what's with her yelling.. "tiiin rooof, rusted!!"? I feel like I'm being scolded. Just stop it!


The Offspring - "Come Out and Play (Keep Em Separated)

I disliked this when I first heard it. On top of that, when this was getting serious airplay, I was bed/toilet ridden with a nasty stomach flu for two days. I felt like crap and couldn't get this "Arabian" guitar riff out of my head. It still makes me sick to listen to this song.



Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock - "It Takes Two"

As with "Love Shack", this seems to be a favorite with party DJs. The problem with this song is the incessant James Brown sample. "WHOO.. YEAH".  It goes throughout the entire song and never lets up or cuts out for a section. It's like someone is driving a railroad spike into my skull.  The female vocal part, "It takes two to make a thing go riyy-eeet" is almost as annoying.


George Benson - "On Broadway"

I remember hearing this song over the radio in my parents' car when I was a kid. I never liked it. I'm not exactly sure why. I think it's the repetitive two-note riff that keeps on going forever.. then changes key... then changes back. The vocals are over-enunciated smooth jazz cheese. It just gets under my skin. I know Benson is supposedly a great jazz guitar player, but this song sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment